Dr. Michael J. Starek, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Geospatial Engineering and GISc
- Office: CBI 113
- Phone: 361-825-3978
- E-Mail: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of Florida
- M.S. Computer Science, Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi
Area of Expertise / Research:
- Geodetic remote sensing techniques, particularly lidar
- Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) for surveying and mapping
- Muilti-sensor data fusion applications
- Spatial analytics
- Coastal geomatics and coastal processes
- M.J. Starek, H. Mitasova, K.W. Wegmann, and N. Lyons, Space-Time Cube Representation of Stream Bank Evolution Mapped by Terrestrial Laser Scanning, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, DOI 10.1109/LGRS.2013.2241730m Vol. 99, 2013 .
- H. Lee, B. Blundell, M.J. Starek, J. Harris, An Airborne Lidar Point Cloud-based Below-canopy Line-of-Sight Visibility Estimator, Journal of Applied Remote Sensing, 7 (1), 2013.
- P. Paris, M.J. Starek, E. Hardin, O. Kurum, M. Overton, and H. Mitasova, Lines in the Sand: Geomorphic and Geospatial Characterization and Interpretation of Sandy Shorelines and Beaches, Geography Compass, 7 (5), 2013.
- M.J. Starek, author contributor to Encyclopedia of Estuaries, Sections: Airborne Laser Terrain Mapping and Lidar, Springer, 2013 (in press)
- M.J. Starek, R.J. Vemula, K.C. Slatton, and R.L. Shrestha, Probabilistic Detection of Morphologic Indicators for Beach Segmentation with Lidar Time Series, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 50 (11), 2012.
- M.J. Starek, H. Mitasova, and R. Harmon, Modeling Landscape Evolution at Multiple Scales Using Airborne, Ground, and Laboratory Laser Scanning, Geosphere, v. 7, p. 1340-56., 2011
- H. Mitasova, E. Hardin, M. J. Starek, R.S. Harmon, M. Overton, Landscape dynamics from LiDAR data time series, in Proceedings of Geomorphometry, Redlands, CA, 2011.
- M.J. Starek, K.C. Slatton, R.L. Shrestha, and W.E. Carter, Airborne Lidar Measurements to Quantify Change in Sandy Beaches, in Laser Scanning for the Environmental Sciences, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, pp. 147-164, 2009.
Honors and Awards:
- Recipient of two National Research Council (NRC) Research Associateship Fellowship awards (2009) to carry out independent research supported by the US Army Research Office (ARO) and the Air Force Research Lab (AFRL); accepted ARO award
- Lights & Mirrors Award (2011), USACE Airborne Coastal Mapping and Charting Workshop
- University of Florida Alumni Graduate Fellowship (2004-2008)
- Named semifinalist in the International Science and Engineering Visualization Challenge (2007) sponsored by the National Science Foundation and the Journal Science, published by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Chi Epsilon Civil Engineering Honor Society (inducted in 2007)
- Texas A&M University Dept. of Science & Technology Graduate Scholarship in Computer Science for Excellence in Academic Achievement and Research (2001-2002).
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude, Bachelors of Science, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi